TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — Three people were injured in a chemical explosion at a research lab on the Arizona State University campus in Tempe, according to authorities.
Tempe Fire Department officials said Tuesday morning’s explosion was caused by chlorine dioxide, which resulted in a workbox becoming overpressurized.
Phoenix radio station KTAR-FM reported that a third-party contractor was conducting a routine cleaning of the Biodesign Institute lab at the time.
Authorities said three people were treated at the scene for skin lacerations.
Two of those people — a 50-year-old man and a 27-year-old man — were taken to a hospital with serious injuries that were not life-threatening.