MIAMI, Fl. (KYMA, KECY) - The Kansas City Chiefs have won their first Super Bowl in 50 years, beating the San Francisco 49ers in a close game.
The final score, (31-20) Kansas City.
This was Kansas City’s third-ever Super Bowl appearance and first since 1970. Super Bowl LIV also marks Andy Reid’s second Super Bowl appearance as a head coach, since he narrowly lost to New England in 2004.
Kansas City’s potential to win became clear in the last six minutes of the game, after a penalty by the 49ers put them in to scoring position and a long pass-completion resulted in a touchdown by Travis Kelce.
A subsequent touchdown within the last couple minutes by Damien Williams solidified the Chief's lead over the 49ers, followed by an interception in their favor.
Keep reading for game highlights.
Game highlights and more
(ORIGINAL:) The Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers come face-to-face for Super Bowl LIV.
AFC Champions, the Kansas City Chiefs have steadily moved through this season with a speedy offence, finishing with a 12–4 record.
Chief's MVP Patrick Mahomes is looking to set records today, including being among the youngest quarterbacks to start in the Super Bowl.
The team is looking to win their first title in 50 years. Kansas City's first and only title is from Super Bowl IV.
In contrast, the 49ers have five Super Bowl titles, among the most in the NFL, though they haven't won a title in 25 years.
With stunning defense led by Nick Bosa, NFL defensive Rookie of the Year, and a strong season by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, the 49ers are coming into this game with the right attitudes.
Today will prove to be a battle of opposing strengths, with teams led by innovative coaches Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan.
This year's Pepsi Super Bowl LIV halftime show will be headlined by Shakira and J.Lo, the first time two Latinas have co-headlined the show.
Stick with KYMA for live updates.
Pregame and Coin-toss
The pregame show included a brief tribute to sports legend Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna, who died tragically last weekend.
Players from both teams stood in tribute while fans could be heard chanting, "Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!"
Gospel legend Yolanda Adams sang 'America the Beautiful' and Grammy-nominated Demi Lovato and performed the National Anthem.
And, with the highly-anticipated coin-toss won by San Francisco, let the game begin!
Kick-off and 1st Quarter
- The game's first big play unfolded as 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel took a pitchout 32 yards. Followed by another trick play involving Samuel, this has quickly put San Francisco into scoring position.
- A field goal by Robbie Gould puts the 49ers at a 3-0 lead, but the Chiefs are pushing.
- The Chiefs retaliate with a 1-yard touchdown run by Patrick Mahomes.
- First turnover of the game, as Chiefs follow their touchdown with an interception to lead-into the second quarter.
- The Chiefs continue their drive, ending it with a 31-yard field goal by Dustin Colquitt.
- 49ers tie the game, following a 15-yard touchdown pass by Jimmy Garoppolo to fullback Kyle Juszczyk.
- The 49ers, who won the coin-toss and deferred, start the second half by driving across midfield.
- 49ers go for a field goal, taking the lead.
- After intercepting Patrick Mahomes, 49ers complete a touchdown, now leading (20-10).
- 49ers open the final quarter with a 10-point lead .
- Chiefs fail to make 1st down via interception by Tarvarius Moore-- adding to 49ers' momentum
- Touchdown by Kansas City after penalty by 49ers, making for a much closer game than before. Score is now (20-17) San Francisco.
- Another touchdown by Kansas City's Travis Kelce brings the Chiefs to the lead. Score is (24, 20) Kansas City.
- After a continued close game, Kansas City is suddenly minutes from a potential title.
- In dramatic turn, Chiefs solidify their lead over 49ers, with a touchdown by Damien Williams with just over a minute left in the game.