EL CENTRO, Calif. (KYMA, KECY) - Imperial Irrigation District (IID) officials encourage the community to save energy as temperatures rise this week.
IID says starting Tuesday, June 15, to Friday, June 18, customers should continue to save energy this week during the heat advisory declared by the National Weather Service.
“By issuing this alert, we’re asking our customers to do what they can to help the local electric grid,” said Marilyn Del Bosque Gilbert, IID Energy manager. “By conserving energy, we can take stress off energy infrastructure, help maintain reliable energy delivery, avert power outages and help customers lower their monthly electric bill. So, it’s a win-win.”
With temperatures rising to 115-120 degrees this week, officials recommend the community save energy with the following tips.
- Avoid the use of major appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers, pool pumps, charging of electric vehicles, applicable industrial equipment, etc.) between peak hours of 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Set thermostats at 78 degrees or higher when home.
- Turn off all unnecessary lights.
- Use floor or ceiling fans to cool off for less; however, be sure to turn fans off when you leave a room as they only cool people, not spaces.
- Block the sun from overheating your home. Inside, use shades, blinds, and drapes. Outside, use awnings, trees, and shrubs.