SAN FRANCISCO (KYMA/KECY) - Californians will still be able to order 'to-go' cocktails with food until the end of 2021. Thursday Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom was in the Bay Area focusing attention on the come-back of restaurants and bars after the pandemic.
Last year, the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control eased restrictions on establishments selling to-go cocktails with food deliveries.
The news that 'to-go' cocktails will continue comes days before COVID restrictions are lifted state-wide on June 15th.
Newsom also made the announcement that tents, parklets and al fresco dining can stay.
"To allow these businesses to expand their footprint and expand their opportunity to recover from this pandemic," said Newsom. "Moreover to create new business opportunities in the future."
Newsom said that outdoor dining expansions will continue through at least the end of the calendar year, which allows restaurants and bars to use sidewalks and parking lots.
"So this will allow folks to continue to get the takeout," said Newsom. "If you do the takeout food you'll be able to get the takeout cocktails."
Governor Newsom also urged local governments to facilitate outdoor dining through local zoning and programs that support and promote expanded open-air, take-out, and delivery options.