Skip to Content

Three more earthquakes shake Spain’s southern Granada Province

GRANADA, Spain (NBC, KYMA) - Tourist access to the Medieval Alhambra complex was restricted Tuesday after three more earthquakes shook Spain's southern Granada Province.

At least three people were lightly injured, Andalusia's Regional Official Antonio Sanz said, adding that one of them, a minor, was taken to hospital.

The earthquakes each had magnitudes above 4, the country's National Geographic Institute (IGN) said.

The tremors followed Saturday's magnitude 5 earthquake in the historic city of Granada, which damaged houses and cars.

The quake forced the temporary closure of the Medieval Palace-Fortress of the Alhambra, one of Spain's main tourist sites that was visited by 2.7 million people last year.

The Provincial Authority of Granada said in a statement it was closing administrative buildings, museums and sporting facilities but kept primary health centers open for now.

Some buildings, mostly residential, suffered damage in the tremors, with large cracks showing in the walls, parts of some facades dislodged and bricks strewn across pavements.

The Gojar earthquake was quickly followed by slightly lighter tremors in two nearby towns on Granada's southern outskirts.

Article Topic Follows: National-World

Jump to comments ↓

NBC News

Wesley Williamson

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KYMA KECY is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.