YFD said the careless discarding of smoking materials was the cause of the fire
YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA, KECY) - One person was taken to the hospital after sustaining injuries in a fire on Thursday afternoon.
The Yuma Fire Department (YFD) says the incident happened at the 600 block of west 11th Street. When fire crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from a duplex.
They say the fire started in the back bedroom but rapidly spread through the attic into the duplex's east unit.
Both units sustained heave damage from the fire.
The occupant from the west unit and two others from the east unit escaped the fire but kept re-entering the apartments to gather personal belongings.
Paramedics treated one resident at the scene and was taken to Yuma Regional Medical Center for further evaluation.
YFD says the individual was later flown to a facility in Maricopa to treat his injuries.
No other homes were damaged.
YFD said the careless discarding of smoking materials was the cause of the fire.