YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA, 13 On Your Side, KECY)- The Yuma Police Department (YPD) would like to remind the community to take safety precautions if you're pulled over by unmarked police vehicles.
YPD said the vehicles are driven by detectives and officers in administrative positions. However, all sworn officers within the department have proper identification on them when driving an unmarked vehicle and none of them will ever wear masks.
The following is information about the unmarked vehicles:
· YPD has passenger cars, pickup trucks, and SUV type vehicles.
· They have several different color vehicles.
· They have several different brands named vehicles.
· All of their unmarked vehicles that are equipped with lights will have red and blue lights mounted inside the vehicle near the top of the windshield and back window. Some will have additional lights in the grill. No unmounted, movable or temporary lights are used.
· None of the unmarked vehicles have push bars in the front.
Officers should be calling out the traffic stop via their radio to dispatch.
If an unmarked vehicle is attempting to pull you over and you have concerns, you can call YPD and let them know the following information:
- Your name.
- That an unmarked vehicle is attempting to pull you over.
- Your location and direction of travel.
- The make and model of your vehicle and make and model of the vehicle trying to pull you over if you can identify it.
- Ask them to verify if a Yuma Police officer has called out a traffic stop in that location.
The Yuma Police Department Dispatch Center will be able to verify if one of our officers is making the traffic stop.
If another agency is trying to conduct the traffic stop, YPD may not be able to verify that right away.
YPD also wants to advise that no law enforcement officer should be wearing a ski mask when conducting a traffic stop.
If that occurs, leave immediately and call 911.