Former school resource officer faces multiple criminal charges
YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA, KSWT, KECY) - A former school resource officer now faces multiple criminal charges. Investigators say he had an inappropriate sexual relationship with a minor.
On Thursday evening, Yuma police arrested Bobby Garcia on numerous charges including:
- 13 counts of sexual misconduct with a minor
- 9 counts of exploitation of a minor
- 4 counts of furnishing harmful items to a minor
- 1 count of luring a minor for sexual exploitation
- 1 count of tampering with evidence.
Police say they started investigating Garcia in May after receiving a complaint against him. He was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of that investigation, and in late June he resigned.
Officers say it took months to complete extensive forensic analysis of cell phone records and various types of digital media. They say that painstaking scrutiny led to Garcia's arrest.
Stay with KYMA.com, News 11, and 13 On Your Side for continuing coverage of this developing story.