(KYMA, KSWT, KECY)- With Thanksgiving here and Christmas only a few weeks away, don't forget to keep safety in your holiday preparations.
The Yuma Fire Department (YFD) encourages the community to be aware of where you place your Christmas tree. They recommend you place it at least 3 feet away from any heat source and farther from fireplaces or open flames. Heating vents or space heaters blowing on the tree can dry it out faster too. YFD recommends to only use lights intended for indoor use, and never place candles on a tree.
If you have or are purchasing an artificial Christmas tree, make sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as a flame retardant, YFD said.
If you are choosing a "live" tree, pick one that is fresh. It should be green, flexible, and not come off when you run your hands over the branches. YFD recommends when you get home, to cut 1 or 2 inches from the bottom and keep the water container at the base of the tree-filled. This will help the tree to stay fresh and last longer.
YFD reports 20% of Christmas tree fires occur because of heating sources.
After Christmas, properly dispose of your tree and make use of the City's annual Christmas tree drop-off recycling program.