Local students contribute earth-friendly art
The work of young artists from both sides of the border will be featured in next year's Binational Clean Air Calendar.
The calendar contest is a collaboration between the Binational Health and Environmental Council of San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, and Yuma County (COBINAS) and the Regional Center for Border Health (RCBH.)
The contest was designed to raise environmental awareness among local students. Kids were invited to create drawings highlighting the importance of maintaining good air quality, and practicing recycling.
Former State Senator Amanda Aguirre is the President and CEO of RCBH. Ms. Aguirre told us choosing from among so much amazing art wasn't easy. “It was a difficult task for the judges to select the drawings, since the students really do a wonderful job in putting their ideas of a clean Planet on the paper, however we are pretty sure we chose the best,” she says.
This year's winners include:
• Cover: Lizandra Sanchez Chaidez, Harvest Preparatory Academy, San Luis, Arizona
• January: Yasmin Camacho Valenzuela, Desert Sonora Elementary, Somerton, Arizona
• February: Ana Sofía Flores Jiménez, Instituto Kino Primaria, San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora
• March: Fernando Noe Cedillo Juan, Secundaria Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla #22, San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora
• April: Elisa Mia Martellacci, Harvest Preparatory Academy, San Luis, Arizona
• May: Daniela A. Fernandez, Kofa High School, Yuma, Arizona
• June: Lidia Ortiz Nora, Harvest Preparatory Academy, San Luis, Arizona
• July: Genesis Angulo Carranza, Desert Sonora Elementary, Somerton, Arizona
• August: Adlin Montserrath Gonzalez Espinoza, Escuela Secundaria #30, San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora
• September: María Fernanda Mendoza Galvez, Colegio Kino A.C., San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora
• October: Joel Alejandro Benitez Rivera, Primaria Luis G. Cano, San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora
• November: Luna Ambriz, Harvest Preparatory Academy, San Luis, Arizona
• December: Johnny Ramirez, Harvest Preparatory Academy, San Luis, Arizona
This year's calendar will be dedicated to the Antelope Football Team for proudly representing Arizona in a tournament in Alaska this past summer. Members of the team, and the 13 young artists will be recognized during the COBINAS quarterly meeting in January. The group will also make donations to all the young people's schools.