Garage fire destroys family home

YUMA, Ariz. – What started as a garage fire, ended up destroying a family’s home with thousands of dollars in damages.

Yuma Fire Department arrived to the blaze at the corner of 27th Street and 18th Avenue with the garage engulfed in flames and smoke. Mike Erfert, with Yuma Fire Department, explains how they were able to put the  fire out and explains how the family escaped safely from their burning home.

“They began protecting the homes and extinguishing the fire, it was found that there had been three people in the home at the time of the fire. The garage and several living places in the home were very badly damaged, and the home was not occupiable,” said Erfert.

September is National Preparedness Month, a month to remind you and your family to be prepared for any kind of emergency. Erfert reminds us how important it is to be prepared for anything at anytime, anyplace.

“This is one of those situations where we take the opportunity to remind people that your best protection in your home is your smoke alarm. Smoke alarms do save lives.”

After the investigation, the fire was ruled as “non arson” or “accidental” with unknown cause. The investigator tells the victim,  the attic was so full of lint from the dryer there was noway to stop it there. If you would like to help the family of four get back on their feet, click here.

About The Author

Related posts